Comfort Food Can Be Healthy
Learn how you can make healthy comfort food in this Brigham Health Celebrity Chef Series video with Chef Suvir Saran! This delicious dish is high in fiber and protein and low in calories and saturated fat.
Stir-Fried Cabbage with Peanuts, Peas and Red Peppers
3 tablespoons canola oil
1½ teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric
3 dried red chilies
2 cups toasted unsalted peanuts
1 3½ pound head of cabbage, cored and finely chopped
2 red peppers, seeded and finely chopped (pea-sized pieces)
1 cup frozen peas
3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- Heat the canola oil with the cumin seeds, turmeric and chilies in a large pot or wok over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the chilies become smoky, about 3 minutes.
- Add the peanuts and cook for 2 minutes, to brown them slightly and heat them up.
- Add half of the cabbage and all of the red peppers and peas and stir to combine with the spices.
- When the cabbage begins to wilt (couple of minutes), stir in the remaining cabbage.
- Cook, stirring often, until the volume has reduced by 1/3 and the cabbage looks very browned, about 15 to 30 minutes (depending on your pot or wok).
- Mix in the salt and serve warm or at room temperature.
Serving Size: 3/4 cup
Fat (g): 20
Sat Fat (g): 2.5
Trans Fat (g): 0
Cholesterol (mg): 0
Sodium (mg): 335
Carbohydrate (g): 21
Fiber (g): 8
Protein (g): 11
For more information, visit the BWH Department of Nutrition or call (617) 732-6054 for an appointment.